If you read my first book, Buy a Game, you know what happened: I finally made the team my senior year, and the rest is history. I walked on in college, got recruited to another college after my freshman season, and played nine years of professional basketball in eight countries.
During this process, in 2006, I began publishing videos to a new site called YouTube. Over the course of more than 7,000 videos, many players asked questions about a shared challenge that has kept myriad players from advancing in basketball: performing at tryouts.
Some of the most common questions:
- How can I best impress the coach at tryouts?
- What can I do to stand out?
- What position should I play at tryouts?
- What if I'm not allowed to play my normal position during tryouts?
- How can I get the returning players to respect my game?
- What mindset should I have during tryouts?
- What can I do to better my skills with only a week’s time before tryouts?
- Should I get hyped up before tryouts or remain calm and steady?
- I didn't make it this year. Can you tell me exactly what I should do to get ready for tryouts next season?
- I feel like my career will be over before it starts if I don't make the team - can you please help me get ready for tryouts?
To address these questions and others on the subject of basketball-team tryouts, I created this workbook.
By completing this workbook, you will:
- Know exactly what will be expected of you at tryouts
- Understand your ideal mindset for playing your best and know how to get into this mindset at any time
- Be able to relax yourself and defeat any possible nerves or performance anxiety before tryouts
- Perform to the best of your ability at tryouts, definitively securing the roster spot you covet
Chapter 1Duration: 17s
Chapter 2Duration: 05min
Chapter 3Duration: 09min
Chapter 4Duration: 09min
Chapter 5Duration: 07min
Chapter 6Duration: 06min
Chapter 7Duration: 02min
Chapter 8Duration: 29s
Chapter 9Duration: 48s
Chapter 10Duration: 14s